William A. Ratliff's Profile
Bill Ratliff’s law practice has been principally in the area of commercial litigation and insurance defense. He now focuses exclusively on alternative dispute resolution, both as a mediator and an arbitrator. Bill was one of the first attorneys in the state of Alabama to be approved for appellate mediation appointments. Bill is a certified mediator with the American Arbitration Association, and he is on the roster for the Alabama Center for Dispute Resolution.
A wide variety of trial experience serves Bill well as a mediator and arbitrator. He has represented individuals, financial institutions, automobile dealerships, manufacturers, construction companies, insurance companies, and other types of corporate clients, as both plaintiffs and defendants, in both state and federal court. He also has extensive experience representing creditors in workouts and in bankruptcy proceedings under Chapters 7 and 11 of the Bankruptcy Code.
Bill was born in Birmingham, Alabama, in 1956. He attended the University of Alabama, and in 1978, he received a Bachelor of Science degree in corporate finance. Bill attended Cumberland School of Law at Samford University and graduated in 1981. He worked with the Birmingham firm of Cabaniss, Johnston, Gardner, Dumas & O’Neal until 1988. At that time, he joined Dale Wallace and Bert Jordan to practice law. They have been partners or members of the same firm for over 20 years.
Bill is admitted to practice law before all Alabama federal district courts and all Alabama state courts. He is a member of the Alabama State Bar, the Birmingham Bar Association, and the American Bar Association.
Available Mediation Dates
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, AL, J.D., 1981
- The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL, B.S, Corporate Finance, 1978
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama, 1981
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama, 1981
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama, 1981
- Alabama, 1981
- Cabaniss, Johnston, Gardner, Dumas & O’Neal, Associate, 1984-1988
- Corley, Moncus, Bynum, and DeBuys, Associate, 1981-1984